[Twisted-Python] where to begin

Andrew Bennetts andrew-twisted at puzzling.org
Mon Feb 10 21:41:15 EST 2003

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 03:01:26PM +1300, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:

> Hi - Help!
>
> I have begun looking at twisted and imediatly became overwelmed,
> factories, reactors, taps, enterprise, web, spread...
>
> There is a lot, but every article I have read on the site seems to rely
> on the reader understanding what several of these are and how they
> relate and why they relate etc etc.

Yes, this is a well-known problem.  The docs are improving, but aren't
perfect yet.  Hopefully the glossary at
    http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/howto/glossary
can help you get a one-sentence description of all the wacky terms, so you
can figure out what's relevant to you.

If you have the time, I'd strongly recommend reading all of docs in these
chapters: "The Basics", "High-Level Twisted", "Low-Level Twisted".

> So I am guessing that twisted can be of use to me, I am embarking on a
> GTK2 style app, and I see twisted can some how interact with the gtk
> mainloop.

Try looking in doc/examples/ -- there should be some simple gtk/gtk2
examples in there.

> My project consists of several client apps that continual send and
> recieve data from the main control app.  Some of the clients may be on
> the same machine as the control app, some on other machines depending on
> location.
>
> Some times the control app needs to send the same information to all
> apps togeather and some times only to one or two clients.
>
> I had been looking at spread (not twisted spread) for this
> functionality, and it can be of use, but can twisted provide a better
> solution or is spread better suited to this sort of application?

This sounds like something Twisted would be good at.

> More importantly could some one provide me with a pointer to a basic
> gtk2 client server setup as a starting point for my exploration?

The GUI bits are a little under-documented.  There's not much beyond what's
in the docstrings, doc/examples, and a brief snippet in
http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/howto/choosing-reactor.

-Andrew.