[Twisted-Python] mounting a twisted server

Itamar Shtull-Trauring itamar at itamarst.org
Tue Dec 2 11:31:47 MST 2003

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 09:37:20 -0800 (PST)
Brian Warner <warner at lothar.com> wrote:

> If you've considered NFS then one of the user-space filesystems might
> be a reasonable approach. They involve a kernel module which proxies
> filesystem requests up to a userspace daemon, which can then do
> whatever it wants to satisfy the open/read/write/close requests. Some
> of the ones I've looked at have python bindings, and getting their
> callback scheme to work with Twisted shouldn't be too hard.

Huh? You don't need that, a NFS server can run as pure user space, no
kernel work involved, it's just another network server. The only
possible issue is loopback mounting due to reentry issues or something
(there was a paper at Usenix 2001 IIRC about a toolkit for writing NFS
servers in C++, probably covers that). You just mount it with nfs
client, which does need to be in kernel but that's already in linux
etc..

--
Itamar Shtull-Trauring    http://itamarst.org/
Available for Python & Twisted consulting