[Twisted-Python] Twisted Slow? Woven - Production Ready?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sat Aug 23 10:29:52 MDT 2003

On Saturday, Aug 23, 2003, at 05:15 America/New_York, Allen Short wrote:

>> .Net seems like a big improvement over ASP/PHP, but prefer
>> Python easily over .Net. If you've done .Net and Twisted - how
>> would you compare the learning curve for a typical web
>> programmer using either .Net or Twisted/Woven platform?
>

> I haven't used any of the dotnet stuff, but the small bits I've seen
> have indicated it's not very different in philosophy from the
> ASP/PHP/CGI/etc way of doing things. I'm not sure there's really a
> "curve" for learning woven; for me, after a few years of dealing with
> the prevailing models of webpage generation, Woven came as a breath of
> fresh air: it's the only web framework I've used that I haven't come
> to hate. However, as glyph pointed out recently, you have to
> "reconfigure the sub-atomic particles in your brain to completely
> disassociate the concepts of 'web' and 'application'." Some people
> will be ready to do this, some won't. Once you've made the mental leap
> to treating webpage generation as structure-based and not
> string-based, you're most of the way there.

There is a big difference between ASP/PHP/CGI/etc and ASP.NET: it tries
to be pseudo-event-driven.  In the Page class you have methods that you
can override, such as when a page loads, a session starts, the page
ends, etc.  This is because caching is emphasized EVERYWHERE.  The
ASP.NET and ADO.NET as a whole are built specifically to be cached.

-bob