[Twisted-Python] Twisted Slow? Woven - Production Ready?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Aug 22 19:01:26 MDT 2003

On Friday, Aug 22, 2003, at 19:12 America/New_York, Richard Johannesson
wrote:

>>>  - Good HTML / XHTML support
>> Woven templates are XML and woven itself outputs XML.
>
> Is there anyone doing XSLT in Twisted? Any xml comparison to say
> 4suite?

I don't think so, but there isn't any reason why you can't use the
4suite modules (they're in python, right?).

>>>  - Scales to multiple web servers / load balancing
>> Whether this works is really up to how you design your app. Is your
>> back-end data store designed to support scaling across multiple
>> machines?
>
> I was thinking in comparison to using Apache loadbalancing - mod_proxy?

Theoretically, you would want to do backend load balancing with Twisted
in a different way, because it has really convenient ways to talk over
a network (perspective broker, primarily).  If you're just doing round
robin load balancing or something you might as well use squid on the
front end or something of that sort.  Unless the application is CPU
dependent you can probably get away with one or more squid servers and
a single Twisted server.  It's been a long time since I've seen a site
/ load that really crawls because of CPU reasons though, it's usually
the database's fault or just a bandwidth issue.

>> Apache will be faster for serving static files because that is what it
>> is designed
>> for; twisted + woven will be faster for large, very complex, very
>> dynamic web
>> applications because that is what it is designed for. Really, the
>> biggest increase you will see is in programmer and designer
>> productivity;
> woven
>> is engineered to cleanly separate the template from the code so that
>> skinning becomes trivial; and to support compositing of small
>> components
> into
>> large, complex components so that your programmers focus on the
> functionality
>> of the app, not the complexities inherit in generating HTML and
>> handling
> form input.
>
> How would you compare getting web programmers up to speed on twisted
> vs with
> .Net, webware, and zope.
>
> My impression with zope seems to have everything, but also a mess.

I couldn't really find a reason to use Zope, unless it was just to make
a Plone site ;)  I tried though, but it's just too awkward for me.
Maybe someone who wasn't used to programming "real" python would have a
better time with Zope.

> Developed using .Net - pretty easy, but buggy.

C# is probably one of the most painful web languages I've ever
developed with for oh so many reasons.   Microsoft really designed some
horrible to use APIs.  They all seem pretty much ok theoretically, but
the syntax you end up writing is god awful and long.

> Webware, seems simple and has a similar clean style to twisted. But,
> twisted
> seems more capable / flexible.

No experience with it..

-bob