[Twisted-Python] SSL and Perspective Broker

Edmund Dengler edmundd at eSentire.com
Sun Aug 3 12:12:20 MDT 2003

Hi all!

I am new to the list, so please excuse me if this has been dealt with
already. I did try to search for an answer in the archives and was unable
to find an answer.

I am trying to use PB with SSL. I have managed to get it to work (or, at
least it looks like it is working). I will get some patches submitted
later this week if desired. The problem I ran across was that I had to
force PB to change its logic as to who talks first.

Normally: client connects to PB server, PB server initiates communication
back to client over TCP connection

However, when using SSL, if PB initiates communication, then the whole
process essentially hangs. The SSL handshaking between client and server
doe snot occur. If I hack the code so that PB expects the client to
initiate the communication, and hack the client to start first (basically
send a "hello"), then it works.

It seems the SSL connection does not perform the handshaking/negotiation
until the client tries to send a byte. Is this correct? Is this the way it
is suppose to work? Is there a way to force the SSL handshaking to occur
immediately?  Note: If I use OpenSSL's s_client or s_server, I can get the
communication to go. That is, the handshaking is independent of who starts
talking first.

Thanks!
Ed