[Twisted-Python] Remote PB calls in ApplicationService.stopService

Moshe Zadka m at moshez.org
Sat Aug 2 04:55:27 MDT 2003

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003, Brian Warner <warner at lothar.com> wrote:

> Given that PB is about acknowleged method invocations, it will probably be
> cleaner to try to delay shutdown briefly while you get your "I am dying"
> messages through. Fortunately, both .stopService and the before-shutdown
> event trigger that drives it have a useful property: you can return a
> Deferred from them and the rest of the shutdown process will be stalled
> until that Deferred is fired.

BTW, currently that feature is not in the new Application code I'm working
on. I could add it, but when we discussed it I didn't know of anybody
using that feature. It seems a bit too dangerous to allow a buggy remote
side to delay our shutdown by a long amount of time [depending on PB
timeouts]. I humbly suggest that an architecture which depends on being
able to send "one last message" is probably flawed.

--
Moshe Zadka -- http://moshez.org/
Buffy: I don't like you hanging out with someone that... short.