[Twisted-Python] Twisted Slow? Woven - Production Ready?

Richard Johannesson rtjohan at syspres.com
Fri Aug 22 19:12:53 EDT 2003

Thanks dp,

>> It seems the twistedmatrix.com website tends to be pretty slow.
>The problem with twistedmatrix.com is that it is currently hosted on
>768kbit/sec SDSL...

Ok - makes sense.

>> Is Twisted + Woven ready for production web apps?
>>  - Is Woven API stable?
>Woven's API is approaching stability. LivePage is currently the only
>portion of the API which will still be changing significantly,
>and it is
>possible to make complex apps without even knowing what LivePage is.
>
>>  - Good HTML / XHTML support
>Woven templates are XML and woven itself outputs XML.

Is there anyone doing XSLT in Twisted? Any xml comparison to say 4suite?

>>  - Scales to multiple web servers / load balancing
>Whether this works is really up to how you design your app. Is your
>back-end data store designed to support scaling across multiple machines?

I was thinking in comparison to using Apache loadbalancing - mod_proxy?

>Apache will be faster for serving static files because that is what it
>is designed
>for; twisted + woven will be faster for large, very complex, very
>dynamic web
>applications because that is what it is designed for. Really, the
>biggest increase you will see is in programmer and designer productivity;
woven
>is engineered to cleanly separate the template from the code so that
>skinning becomes trivial; and to support compositing of small components
into
>large, complex components so that your programmers focus on the
functionality
>of the app, not the complexities inherit in generating HTML and handling
form input.

How would you compare getting web programmers up to speed on twisted vs with
.Net, webware, and zope.

My impression with zope seems to have everything, but also a mess.

Developed using .Net - pretty easy, but buggy.

Webware, seems simple and has a similar clean style to twisted. But, twisted
seems more capable / flexible.

Richard