[Twisted-Python] Broken HOWTO documentation

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Wed Apr 23 03:37:21 MDT 2003

Michael McLay <mclay at python.net> writes:
> I have been trying to get the examples in section 2.4 of the HOWTO to work.
> It looks like the documentation is out of date with the current state of
> the software in the CVS. starting with 2.4.2, the "app.theApplication"
> returns the error

> Traceback (most recent call last):

twisted.internet.app.theApplication doesn't actually appear until the
application starts running, usually through app.run(), and sometimes with
reactor.run().

> I had problems with the examples in section 2.4.3 and 2.5 as well. In
> section 2.5 the telnet localhost 4040 command returned a different module
> location instead of twisted.protocols.telnet.ShellFactory and when I ran
> dir(__main__) the list of names did not come close to matching what was in
> the example. No twisted objects were listed.

You're right, those examples were ancient. I've updated them to match the
current code, and removed some of the most unhelpful pieces.

thanks,
 -Brian