[Twisted-Python] Bloat (was Re: [Twisted-commits] DependentMultiService - chained start/stop of services in a sensible order)

Christopher Armstrong radix at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Apr 14 07:50:45 EDT 2003

On 2003.04.14 06:48, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Monday, Apr 14, 2003, at 05:33 America/New_York, Christopher
> Armstrong wrote:
>
> > On 2003.04.13 20:32, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
> >> but I would like to discuss it and other patches like it.  Not to pick
> >> on bob here; there isn't really a policy on avoiding bloat in Twisted,
> >> so it can't be said that this is a violation of anything in
> >> particular.
> >>   I just think we need one.
> >
> > The one I've recently decided was good is "If there's no other code in
> > Twisted that relies on it, don't add it to CVS."
>
> Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Your analogy is broken. If you have some code that needs
DependantMultiService, then you can check in DependantMultiService at
the same time as your code. If it's only application-code (i.e., an
application that is not contributed to Twisted) that needs it, leave
it in your application for now.

Of course, maybe there can be exceptions to this occasionally, but I
think any exceptions need to be thought about very hard, for the
reasons Glyph pointed out.

Also, sandbox is appropriate for such stuff. e.g., flow.py.

---------+     http://twistedmatrix.com/users/radix.twistd/