[Twisted-Python] Is X.25 supported?

Eric C. Newton ecn at metaslash.com
Tue Sep 17 18:00:48 MDT 2002

Oops ... that should read:

    "Twisted does _not_ prevent it..."

Twisted is great.  Eric is an idiot.

Some more details for the internet to record for posterity:

The X.25 interface under Linux is socket based.  You can use your
friends listen/connect/accept/send/recv with the underlying X.25
drivers.  The X.25 API on Sun and IBM AIX is SysV Streams
based, and you interact with the X.25 device with different system
calls.

As you know, twisted works great for sockets, and it _seems_ like
it would be simple enough to do.  But Python does not quite support
the interface necessary to create real X.25 connections.  With
some simple C extensions you can expose the API.  The main problem
is that the format of a X.25 address is quite different from a
TCP/IP address.

Once you get a file descriptor, it can be integrated with the Reactor.
My only problems with Twisted were trying to make the X.25 API
as full-featured as a TCP/IP connection.  With some effort, I'm
sure it can be done.

I've successfully used X.25 against the Linux loopback device,
and on the real hardware under Solaris and AIX.  I've done all three
with Python.  If you want any other help with this, please contact
me off list.

-Eric
ecn at metaslash.com