[XML-SIG] Re: [Twisted-Python] Can anyone recommend a sensible XML parser for Python?

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji at fourthought.com
Mon Sep 9 13:42:44 MDT 2002

> uche wrote:
>
> > > For the applications that I'm intending to write, just doing my own parser and
> > > API is both more appealing and more rewarding.
> >
> > Really?  Color me deep skeptical.  I have not seen an application on earth
> > where implementing one's own parser is a good idea, and precious few where
> > implementing one's own API is a good idea.
>
> on the other hand, virtually every commercial XML python user
> I know of use their own non-pydom parser/sax-style api/dom-
> style api (with 4thought being the obvious exception, of course).

Really?  I am surprised.  I suspect the reasons for this would not be as
straightforward as truly unique requirements.

> if I couldn't use ElementTree-like apis, I'd probably give up XML
> programming...
>
> (using element trees, Glyph's use case would look something like:
>
>     tree = deepcopy.deepcopy(template_tree)
>     for node in tree.find(pattern):
>         expand(context, node)
>     tree.write(stream)
>
> )

I'm not familiar with ElementTrees.  At any rate, I don't see this use case as
very daunting, especially if you have DOM and generators.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
Basic XML and RDF techniques for knowledge management, Part 7 -
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think12.html
Keeping pace with James Clark - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/libra
ry/x-jclark.html
Python and XML development using 4Suite, Part 3: 4RDF -
http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle/8A
1EA5A2CF4621C386256BBB006F4CEC