[Twisted-Python] version control, QA, branching ...

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sat Sep 14 00:48:40 EDT 2002

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002 23:13:20 -0500 (CDT), Allen Short <washort at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> my original take on arch was that its implementation made it
> unacceptable. but as i think about it, i'm not sure that's such a big deal;
> the design seems sound from the docs, and since it's written in a "software
> tools" style, incremental conversion to Python should be feasible if that's
> ever desired. So... it's tempting to try for some less-important
> repositories, i think. (TRDemo, perhaps?) The "FTP" and "shell" aspects of it
> are pretty nonessential to its operation, so far as i can tell.

I think this would be a huge distraction and not really worthwhile...

Arch is a good design for verison control.  The implementation really does make
it unacceptable though.  Stipulations like "POSIX /bin/sh" and "FTP" cause
problems with firewalls and portability.

By my informal estimate, half of the people interested in anonymous up-to-date
access to Twisted are using some version of Microsoft Windows XP behind a
firewall which ether breaks or doesn't allow FTP.

The "FTP" and "shell" aspects of it aren't essential to its operation, but they
are essential to its implementation.  I wouldn't want to use arch any more than
I'd want to use aegis.

There's also the issue of tools.  How long until we get viewcvs-like behavior
out of arch?  Do these tools already exist?  Where can I find them?  Is the
author committed to doing GUI implementations of the frontend?  I'd answer
these research questions myself, except regexps.com's web access is down now :)

It would be nice to be able to create branches more easily.  However, "more
easily" is a lot more than just "better low-level design".  It's emacs
integration, GUI tools, windows support, scriptability, and so on and so forth.
I don't forsee any of my projects moving to an alternative version control
system any time soon.

As always, if somebody comes along and implements something in Twisted, I would
be more inclined to consider it seriously; I could think of a lot of cool tasks
we could automate if the VC server itself had Python hooks.  (Also, I imagine
that PB or HTTP would be more firewall-friendly and easily secured than
pserver.)  Still, before migrating any actual code to it I'd want to see that
it had all the features mentioned above.

--
 |    <`'>    |  Glyph Lefkowitz: Traveling Sorcerer   |
 |   < _/ >   |  Lead Developer,  the Twisted project  |