[Twisted-Python] Hep, a Twisted project

Abe Fettig abe at fettig.net
Thu Oct 31 09:19:28 MST 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 22:06, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
> On 30 Oct 2002 17:57:19 -0500, Abe Fettig <abe at fettig.net> wrote:
> > I just released version 0.3 of Hep, my multiprotocol message server.
>
> Hey, this looks awesome!! :-D
>
> Obviously with all the different protocol support in Twisted, I had hoped to
> eventually implement something like this.  It looks like Hep is quite
> application-level though (sending e-mail messages to a weblog, etc), so
> hopefully there wouldn't be too much overlap (if I could ever get around to
> actually implementing message-transport-abstraction stuff...).
>
> If you've got any message-level abstractions you'd like supported at the
> Twisted level (or better yet, patches to unify some of the protocols' approach
> to messaging) I'd really like to hear about them.  Thanks for letting us know
> about this project!

At the moment I'm still in lurk mode, trying to get a feel for the
Twisted way of doing things.

I have been thinking about unified messaging. One of the next steps for
Hep is a unified protocol/address setup so it can transparently route
messages between different systems.  For example, I want Hep users to be
able to send mail to "bob at aim.hep" and have the message go to the AOL IM
account "bob".

There are a couple of servers I'd like to use that aren't available in
Twisted yet (to the best of my knowledge) - IMAP and WebDAV.  Is anyone
working on implementing these?  If so, I'd be happy to help.

--
Abe Fettig
abe at fettig.net
http://www.fettig.net/