[Twisted-Python] Pynfo (I'm back)

Jp Calderone exarkun at meson.dyndns.org
Tue Oct 29 19:16:50 EST 2002

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 10:30:18PM -0500, Maniac - wrote:
> Dont really know where to broach this but:
>
> I've been looking at the code for pynfo and there's some functionality
> i'd like to wedge in there i.e. logging to a database (for example) but
> i'd like to be able to do it without affecting the main code. Is there a
> reasonable way to create an external plugin that could be inserted at
> runtime?

  (I don't know if you've already figured this out or not;  I'm posting
anyway on the off-chance you haven't and are still interested in using the
code-base, or someone else has taken an interest in the topic)

  I'm a little ashamed to say that Pynfo is a big, stinky hack.  There's no
kind of modularity, and only a half-hearted attempt at any kind of "plugin"
interface.  The freshmeat (non-functional) and google capabilities would be
the best example of how to go about this, but they're not done in such a way
as to allow you to not affect the main code with your desired additions.

  Perhaps a good course of action would be for you to just hack what you
want into the main code and send me a patch, then I can try to refactor both
of our "plugins" into something that resembles an actual plugin interface.

  Jp

--
"One World, one Web, one Program." - Microsoft(R) promotional ad
"Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer." - Adolf Hitler