[Twisted-Python] tap-relative filenames?

Matthias Urlichs smurf at noris.de
Thu Nov 14 14:16:54 MST 2002

Hi,

Paul Moore:
> On Unix, yes, quite probably. But on Windows, storing data in an
> application-relative location is quite common.

On Windows, programs are not installable without an elaborate installation
program dance. Some people consider that a bug -- on Mac systems, for
instance, you drag the whole application to the hard disk, _that's_it_,
and a sensible application will _never_ write into its own program space
(it could reside on a read-only file server).

> On Windows, there are no standardised directories like /etc or
> /var. So absolute filenames are much less usable, in general.

Setup stuff under Windows typically lives in that arcane thing called
"registry"...

> > This seems akin to the classic UNIX question "how do I find the name
> > of the executable?" to which the answer is "you don't".

Under Linux, you readlink("/proc/self/cmd") (and check if that file exists
and has the same inode). Other OSes are not interesting.  ;-)

> If there isn't a way of locating the tap file at the moment, is there
> any possibility of one getting added?

That'd interest me too.

--
Matthias Urlichs     |     noris network AG     |     http://smurf.noris.de/