[Twisted-Python] Another IRC patch.

screwtape at froup.com screwtape at froup.com
Sat Nov 2 07:00:01 MST 2002

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 01:02:45PM -0000, Moshe Zadka wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Nov 2002, screwtape at froup.com wrote:
>
> > However, twisted.im.ircsupport subclasses IRCClient and does not
> > override the 'noticed' method, so all twisted.im clients cannot tell
> > the difference between a privmsg and a notice. This is really not a
> > good thing, especially for an IM bot like mine. The attached patch
> > fixes this in a brute force manner by making twisted.im.ircsupport
> > drop all notices on the floor.
>
> I'm trying to understand, does this mean no .im chat client can support
> notices without jumping through hoops? In that case this is *VERY*
> bad. People on #python whose clients filter out the chanserv notice
> get treated rudely (for a good reason).

As I understand it, it works like this:

* ircsupport drops notices on the floor
  - people on #python get treated rudely, for whatever reason (I've
    never been to #python).
* ircsupport maps notices onto privmsgs
  - IM clients can't tell the difference, and might do stupid things
    to notices that they shouldn't do (sample circumstances might be
    bots or "I'm away right now, but your message has been logged"
    messages.)
* ircsupport keeps them seperate, and we change all the rest of
  twisted.im to understand the difference between notices and privmsgs
  even though pretty much no IM system besides IRC implements it.
  - I get the feeling that twisted.im is supposed to be the
    intersection of all IM protocols, rather than the union.

There are of course other solutions - notices could be logged to the
console and not passed through the twisted.im framework, or maybe we
could add another piece of metadata, the same way that actions are
handled.

I'm curious - exactly what happens to people on #python whose clients
filter out the chanserv notice?

--