[Twisted-Python] What we need for next release

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon May 20 17:49:16 MDT 2002

From: Itamar Shtull-Trauring <twisted at itamarst.org>
Subject: [Twisted-Python] What we need for next release
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 13:55:11 +0300

> 1. Switch to new Process API, unix and win32, and write tests for it.

Done.  Really.  And it _passes_ the tests, too.

> 2. Switch to new thread dispatching API.

I think I will pick this up next, it shouldn't be _nearly_ as hard as this
other crap.

> 3. Deal with connector issue.

Does anyone else want to handle this?

> Anything else?

I think these are necessary:

    Start adding __confidence__ (anybody think of a better name for this?)
    attribute to modules / classes / interfaces to indicate how certain we are
    that these are set in stone and will be supported in future versions.  Some
    discussion is necessary to decide what values this attribute might have.

    PB Failures (almost done, from what I hear)

These would be nice:

    Plugin system for twisted.enterprise.row so that DBReflector could
    theoretically work on something other than Postgres.

    Reactors should be loadable by twisted.python.plugin, to allow external
    instrumentation.

    A little more cleanup around Process objects, to be more complete
    wrt. in/out/err distinction.  a kill() method maybe.

And this is blue-sky, but I really think it's necessary for sysadmins:

    Python serialization to XML (DOM), a-la Jelly, with support for creating
    customized nodes, so that there is an easily editable, mostly-readable
    representation of a saved Twisted server.

--
 |    <`'>    |  Glyph Lefkowitz: Travelling Sorcerer  |
 |   < _/ >   |  Lead Developer,  the Twisted project  |