[Twisted-Python] Proposal: Make tax default, tap optional

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Fri May 31 15:47:18 EDT 2002

From: Levi <levi at top.monad.net>
Subject: Re: [Twisted-Python] Proposal: Make tax default, tap optional
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 14:47:52 -0400

> On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 06:38:30PM +0200, Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
> > XML pickles have many benefits over taps, and the only issues they have
> > is not support 1.5 and 2.2 new-style classes. I suggest we make them the
> > default - a tap file is *much* less useful than a tax.
>
> Yes, but new-style classes are really nice. Of course, fixing the tax to
> support new-style classes whould be best of all.

A tap file is about a thousand times faster than a tax, at present, and I don't
have any plans for making it faster.  In general, I *don't* tweak my options
after I run 'mktap'...

While XML is definitely useful, I'd prefer to keep .tap the default.  We should
have a tool for converting them, though.

--
 |    <`'>    |  Glyph Lefkowitz: Traveling Sorcerer  |
 |   < _/ >   |  Lead Developer,  the Twisted project  |