[Twisted-Python] Some Win32 comments

Tyler W. Wilson tyler.wilson at acm.org
Sun Mar 17 19:27:25 MST 2002

Andrew Bennetts wrote:

>On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 09:34:05PM -0400, Tyler W. Wilson wrote:
>
>>3 im (Tk) fails to save config state, if HOME is not set, since the ~
>>will return exactly, and this is an invalid filename charcter under
>>Win9x. Either split it to check, or put in an error/warning.
>>

>Hmm.  It works fine for me on Win2k:

>'C:\\Documents and Settings\\AndrewB'

Windows NT and above (Win2K, WinXP) do have a concept of users and home
directories, so this is logical. Win9x does not really. Or maybe it is
an issue with Python?

>Win98 really isn't meant to be a server OS, and Twisted is largely a library
>for writing servers.  On the other hand, the IM is more of an end-user app,
>so probably should be more lenient about such things.

I lean towards the latter. I would like to do some work on the TkIM
client in Twisted, to get some experience and 'give something back'. I
always liked the Jabber approach (the protocols being handled on the
server-side). But they did not keep the ICQ gateway up to date, so I
stopped using it. But a Jabber protocol in Twisted may go further (and
later perhaps have a Jabber server written in Twisted).

>You could also try using the Cygwin version of Python, which is more
>unix-like.  I'm not sure if it has Tcl/Tk libraries, though...

I will look for some binaries. I am not set up with cygwin at the
moment, being on a slow-ass modem connection.