[Twisted-Python] This seems too good to be true... :-)

Christopher Armstrong carmstro at twistedmatrix.com
Sat Mar 16 23:21:43 MST 2002

On Sat, 2002-03-16 at 23:20, Nils R Grotnes wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I know I probably should lurk-a-lot-first, so please just tell me to shut
> up if I'm somehow out of line here...

You're far from out of line, sir :-)

[clip..]
> Python websites, but the first I ever heard of twisted was in c.l.p.a on
> the 9th. I'm very impressed with your setup and what I have seen of the code
> so far, so I figure _something_ must be wrong. :-)

Oh, you'll probably be hearing more about Twisted in the coming
months.... muwahahaha!

> Ah, well. I hope I'm wrong, because I'd love both to use this stuff, and
> help out. I have coded a few (professional) projects before, but only in
> VB, so I'll keep my defiled hands off the code here until I've de-learned
> most of my bad habits... :-) Hopefully I can do some bug-hunting, testing
> and maybe even a little documentation after a while? (I dual boot to Win95
> and have installed ActivePython there, if that can be useful.)

This is great! We would love your help. Documentation and win32 support
are two things that need focus. More heads working on these would be a
_very_ good thing :-)

> My first try to do more than babble, will be a suggestion I couldn't find
> anything about in the archive; On my Debian, the package is installed in
> /usr/lib/python2.1/site-packages/twisted, but there's no twisted.pth file
> in the site-packages directory. After I added such a file (only containing
> the word "twisted" without the apostrophes) I now have twisted in sys.path
> when I start a Python shell. If it was missing for some good reason, I'd
> like to know it...

You shouldn't need a .pth file, here. You're supposed to qualify all
packages inside the 'twisted' package. That is, rather than doing
"import internet", you do "from twisted import internet" or "import
twisted.internet".

So anyway, what sorts of projects are you interested in doing with
Twisted?

--
                                Chris Armstrong
                         << radix at twistedmatrix.com >>