[Twisted-Python] "3D Game Using Twisted?", or: "Ach du lieber..."

Derek Simkowiak dereks at realloc.net
Thu Mar 14 14:13:51 MST 2002

-> "Lag" is much more of an issue than just protocol design.

	Of course, and I have been studying heavily all of the things you
mentioned (prediction, et. al.).  But just to give you an idea of how
optimized the 3D protocols are, Sony's PlanetSide only uses 4 bits for the
Z component of it's entity origin update packets (because they are using
tricks to get around the loss in granularity).

	Also, as the guy who going to have to write the code, I'm kind of
looking forward to playing with different optimizations and "tricks".  If
I'm just calling somebody else's library, I lose all that fun :)

-> I am definately planning on using it for all in-game traffic within the 3D
-> virtual spaces I am building.

	I'm highly interested in this work; I would love to see what kind
of response times you get with twisted.spread (and which 'tricks' you
employ :).

-> least consider using extensions to pb rather than writing your own protocol
-> framework.

	Because you are so persistent in this recommendation, I will take
a very close look at pb.  But presently my intuition says I'll be writing
my own.

--Derek