[Twisted-Python] Twisted on WIN32

Andrew Bennetts andrew-twisted at puzzling.org
Fri Jun 28 23:31:30 EDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 09:11:36AM +0200, David Marko wrote:
>    I have found your remark in Twisted mailing list on cl.exe. Can you
>    provide me with binary version for this, otherwise I am not able to make
>     "python setup.py install" on twisted environment. I have Win2000 and
>    python 2.2

CL.EXE is part of MS Visual C++; it would be illegal to distribute it, and
besides, you'd need most of the rest of MS Visual C++ as well.

We should probably provide a Windows installer for Python 2.2 as well as
Python 2.1.  Who is responsible for building these?

David: The error you are seeing is due to it trying to compile "cBanana.pyd",
which is an optimised C version of banana.py.  Twisted will run just fine
without it (although the twisted.spread stuff will be a bit slower).  You
should be able to comment out these lines right near the bottom of setup.py:
    setup_args['ext_modules'] = [
        Extension("twisted.spread.cBanana", ["twisted/spread/cBanana.c"],
                  define_macros=define_macros),
        ]
That should make it skip building that module.  It should then work fine.

Alternatively, you could try using cygwin's Python, but that's probably more
hassle than it's worth.  It's also possible that you could build it with lcc
(or whatever the port of gcc to win32 is called) rather than MSVC, but that
also would be lots of mucking around.

-Andrew.