[Twisted-Python] Licence of examples

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Fri Jun 21 19:32:48 EDT 2002

From: Shae Matijs Erisson <shae at ScannedInAvian.com>
Subject: Re: [Twisted-Python] Licence of examples
Date: 22 Jun 2002 00:28:15 +0300

> Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> writes:
>
> > This is one reason that copyright is centralized.  Having it copyrighted by
> > tons of different people in different countries makes it difficult to construct
> > a credible threat in cases where a big corporation doesn't want to support the
> > development of something which is helpful to them, but instead swallow it
> > whole.
>
> I've been aching to ask this question somewhere this matters.
> Does the Zope Public License cover this case in your, or your lawyers opinion?

I assume you're referring to this:

    http://www.zope.org/Resources/ZPL

No.  It doesn't address any of my concerns.  Most importantly, it doesn't place
any value on redistribution.  Unlike "pure" GPL, I don't want to force
everybody in the world who modifies or adds to Twisted to contribute their
changes back.  However, I do believe that their changes have value, and if
they're not paying the community back in that way, they need to be putting
money into it (to keep some Twisted developers fed while they keep working on
the free stuff).  LGPL + single copyright holder gives us that restriction plus
an assigned negotiator (one for each module in Twisted CVS; it's not always me!
See TwistedJava (itamarst) or TwistedEmacs (washort)) for exceptions to it.
ZPL affords basically no protection.

Not to mention the fact that if I were going to use a license of this type I
would want to use Python/BSD/MIT/X11 license and call it "Python" or "BSD", and
not "ZPL".

> There's a specialized joint copyright agreement in it that seems worth
> considering to me.

    http://dev.zope.org/CVS/Contributor.pdf

*This*, on the other hand, looks very interesting to me.  This is more formal
than the ad-hoc "verbal" contract we have now, although the terms are very
similar; I like it.  Does anybody have objections to the terms outlined there?
(Are there any copyright concerns with the document itself? ^_^)

--
 |    <`'>    |  Glyph Lefkowitz: Traveling Sorcerer   |
 |   < _/ >   |  Lead Developer,  the Twisted project  |