[Twisted-Python] latest release & solaris

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Jun 6 19:36:30 EDT 2002

From: Jon Dyte <jon at totient.demon.co.uk>
Subject: [Twisted-Python] latest release & solaris
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 22:30:37 +0100 (BST)

> Hi
>
> just a couple of notes of about the latest release
>
> 1) the tarball (gz) for unix seems to have some funny
> permissions/symlinks/umask? in it. This barfed using solaris tar, with
> an error about not being able to create the file, so
> I downloaded the windows version and unzipped that instead, and chmod
> -R to something sensible.

The only permissions I see that are "funny" are that the directories are sgid.
This is a common convention on our development server, so it snuck in
there... We'll try not to do that next release.

However, please use GNU tar to unpack this archive; as I understand it, solaris
tar is buggy and uses an antiquated fileformat that can't handle long names,
among other things.

> 2) the C extension module cBanana.c actually has some C++ style
> comments in it. I think this is fine for gcc, but solaris' cc
> compiler is less forgiving. I just edited the file.

Thanks for the bug report.

> other than those two gotchas, it seems to work.

Good to know!

--
 |    <`'>    |  Glyph Lefkowitz: Traveling Sorcerer  |
 |   < _/ >   |  Lead Developer,  the Twisted project  |