[Twisted-Python] Large file transfers

Itamar Shtull-Trauring twisted at itamarst.org
Mon Jul 29 12:30:09 MDT 2002

Matt Campbell wrote:

> Has anyone looked at the kqueue(2) and kevent(2) system calls in
> FreeBSD?  These seem to have less overhead than select(2)/poll(2),
> and FreeBSD also has the AIO system calls, so these two features
> can be used together to provide async file I/O and better async
> socket I/O (at least on one platform).

IronPort (http://www.ironport.com) use these, together with Stackless. I'm
hoping we can:

  (a) Convince them at some point to use Twisted for the event loop (I talked
      to Christian Tismer about this at EuroPython).

  (b) Get a kqueue reactor written.

Doing (a) might lead almost immediately to (b), but I doubt it will happen
anytime soon unless someone here knows someone at Ironport or Christian
Tismer and can push this some more.

If anyone wants to do (b), please do - writing a reactor isn't hard, but if
you don't have a FreeBSD box it's kinda hard to develop a kqueue one.