[Twisted-Python] Large file transfers

Matt Campbell mattcampbell at pobox.com
Mon Jul 29 09:35:37 MDT 2002

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 12:35:31PM +0300, Tommi Virtanen wrote:
> 	Later generations have learned to curse select(2), see how
> 	slow network filesystems and cheap IDE disks can be, and hope
> 	for an low-overhead select(2)/poll(2) replacement for both
> 	file IO and non-file IO.

Has anyone looked at the kqueue(2) and kevent(2) system calls in
FreeBSD?  These seem to have less overhead than select(2)/poll(2),
and FreeBSD also has the AIO system calls, so these two features
can be used together to provide async file I/O and better async
socket I/O (at least on one platform).  I've also read that there's
a Linux kernel patch that adds a device called /dev/poll, which
has less overhead than poll(2).  You can read more about these
things at:

http://www.kegel.com/c10k.html

There's a Python binding for kqueue(2)/kevent(2) at:

http://people.freebsd.org/~dwhite/PyKQueue/
--
Matt Campbell
Email and MSN Messenger:  mattcampbell at pobox.com