[Twisted-Python] Large file transfers

Steve Waterbury steve.waterbury at gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Jul 25 14:45:09 EDT 2002

Twisted gurus,

I just noticed item 008 on the twisted TO DO list:

    File Transfer layer for PB.  This would be especially nice for
    twisted.words; having standard a way to transfer "large" (100MB+) packets
    across or in tandem with a PB connection without breaking anything would be
    very good.

<sophomoric question>
Would an ftp connection (authenticated using cred, of course) in
tandem or parallel to the PB connection work?  ... but maybe you
are referring to implementing file transfer as *part* of the
PB protocol, in which case this question might not make any sense
at all.
</sophomoric question>

And how close is this to being implemented?

My interest is not merely academic -- the application I am working
on will be "routinely" transferring 100MB+ files, and I'd like
to use the PB as one of our interfaces.

(BTW, one of the components of our app is written in Lisp, so I
am thinking about having our Lisp programmer look at Twisted Emacs
for hints as to how a Common Lisp implementation of PB could be done ...
but I notice that several twisted minions have Lisp in their resumes ...
is anyone working on / contemplating a CL implementation of PB?  :^)

Cheers,
-- Steve.

Stephen C. Waterbury  http://misspiggy.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/waterbug.html