[Twisted-Python] possible documentation inaccuracy

mike bannister mikebannister at go.com
Mon Jul 22 03:16:59 EDT 2002

Hello, I'm a fairly experienced python programmer (~3 years) but I am a one week old twisted user.

There's a passage in the coding standard documentation that is giving me some trouble. It's quite possible I am just confused in which case I hope that someone can straighten me out but the alternative is either an inaccuracy or a need for rewording the passage in question exists.

The document is located here: http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/howto/coding-standard

Under the classes sub-heading the end of the first blurb reads:

"Class names should not include the name of the module they are a part of. Examples:"

and a list follows. Without looking at the list the above sentence already seems slightly ambiguous to me. Am I about to see a list of examples that meet the above criterion or fail to?

My next problem is when I do look at the list my above question remains. If I assume it's a list of proper naming examples then the first item (twisted.reality.thing.Thing) wouldn't be right. Right? The class name (Thing) includes the name of the module (thing). If I assume it's a list of incorrect naming examples then the second item (twisted.web.Handler) would be a problem because the class name (Handler) doesn't include the package name (web) making it an example of proper naming.

Am I way off here?

Thanks in advance if you can offer any help/info.

Mike Bannister