[Twisted-Python] A newbie experience. Chapter one.

Christopher Armstrong carmstro at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Jul 18 22:06:32 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 22:08, Nils R Grotnes wrote:

> I can't seem to find
> a PYTHONPATH anywhere, but since pydocgui.pyw runs fine, I'd like to
> believe that things has been installed well enough, this far.

PYTHONPATH is an environment variable. If you use a flavor of Windows
NT, you can set environment variables through a GUI by right-clicking on
"My Computer", selecting "Properties", then selecting the "Adanced" tab,
and then clicking the "Environment Variables" button (IIRC - this is
from memory). If you use something else, I'm not sure how you do it. :-)
(I think you have to edit autoexec.bat or something silly).

> Then I had my first head-scratcher. I've read most of what's available on
> the Twisted website, and downloaded the zipped version of the source and
> documentation. "Installing Twisted" told me that "If you are on Windows,
> you may want to skip this and simply get the Windows Installer version of
> Twisted from the download page." Since all I could find was the
> Twisted-0.19.0.zip, I expected that zip-file to be the one. Silly me...

Terribly sorry about this: I don't think there have been any .exe-style
installers for a few versions. I don't have the proper development
environment on Windows, and Glyph was doing them for a couple releases,
but he's far too busy to do it consistently. I'd really like to start
finding people to consistently delegate stuff like this to for new
releases (My release procedure is involved enough, and I'm lazy enough,
that I don't really want to add this extra work to it). So if anyone's
willing to consistently do this, I'd greatly appreciate it. :-) Also, if
anyone wants to maintain other packages  (RPMs? etc), please get in
touch with me.

> again, then running another full test led to another failure removed. I
> think I'll leave the head-scratching over that strangeness to the pro's.

Ok, this is a known issue with threading on Win32. IIRC from listening
to the win32 hackers, it's one of those evil horrible things that makes
you really hate Microsoft and will take all amounts of effort to fix.
Anyway, it probably doesn't matter unless you need to use threading on
Win32. (Can someone else comment on this?)

> Still, I have had some of Twisted running! There's hope.

Thank you for the email! It's great to hear from newbies, especially
when they describe the pains and bugs that they've found in our
software. Hopefully by 1.0 Twisted will have a nice installation
experience on all platforms. :-)

--
                                Chris Armstrong
                         << radix at twistedmatrix.com >>