[Twisted-Python] distributed method calls in twisted.sister

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Fri Jul 12 02:58:07 EDT 2002

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 22:41:12 -0500, "Sean Riley" <sean at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
> I'm not convinced of the need for shadow objects. They could lead to an
> explosion (N^2 !) in the number of python objects in a distributed system.
> If they do exist they at least should be transient if possible.

Transience is a good idea, I agree.  It should be possible to cache the shadow
objects if you need to, but I imagine that would be a pretty rare
case. Remember that a tuple of strings is an object too; it's just an object
you can't edit the interface on.

> I agree there probably needs to be a better mechanism for identifying the
> calling object and allowing it to present information, but I dont have a
> solution to suggest yet. Working on it. I'm going to complete distributed
> login with multiple services before focusing on inter-object communication
> across sisters.

Encapsulating the identification information into an instance (this is all I
mean by "shadow object"; not that we should, by default, have lots of
replicated-everywhere state) seems like it would give some leeway, since any
modifications to what information was necessary could be modifications to the
expected interface of that object, and not the signature of the methods.

--
 |    <`'>    |  Glyph Lefkowitz: Traveling Sorcerer   |
 |   < _/ >   |  Lead Developer,  the Twisted project  |