[Twisted-Python] Question regarding async stuff

Greg Fortune lists at gregfortune.com
Wed Jul 10 14:30:38 EDT 2002

I'm working on a network file server right now and am using Twisted as my
networking framework.  Overall, it's working really well.  The only thing I
haven't been able to figure out so far is what is async and what is not.  It
looks like data transfer is async (self.transport.write(msg)), but the
functions called in the protocol can block the entire twisted main loop.

Delayed has a note that it is being depreceted, but looked to be the only way
to make the Protocol dataReceived() function run in an async manner.  What is
replacing Delayed and is there any other way that I can cause the Protocol
dataReceived call to handle async?

The reason I ask is that it doesn't appear that a twisted server can handle
processing multiple requests at the same time.  It appears that a request
must come in and be processed before another request can be serviced.  It
probably isn't a big deal for me as the number of requests and amount of
processing per request will be low, but it could be that I'm totally
misunderstanding how the framework works.

Any insight is appreciated :)

Greg Fortune