[Twisted-Python] Re: [Twisted-commits] CVS: Twisted ChangeLog,1.13,1.14

Kevin Turner acapnotic at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Feb 11 21:15:43 MST 2002

On Mon, 2002-02-11 at 16:51, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
> IMHO this is far too fine-grained.  Especially something like:

I'll say it again.  If you don't want your ChangeLog file to have the
stuff the rest of the world puts in their ChangeLog files, then maybe
you're thinking of a different file.  [Where "rest of the world" is most
everything in the GIMP-based universe, the parts of the Linux kernel
which actually have a ChangeLog, glibc, quadra, etc.]  When I write in a
ChangeLog, I'm writing for other developers, and probably developers who
are working on the code NOW, not necessarily after its release.  If you
want a feature-level overview to refer to from the release announcement,
call it NEWS.  If you want a few more technical details, call it
"release notes" (relnotes).

Yes, this does overlap with CVS commit messages.  But if you're working
with a checked out copy of the code and you're off-line, you may not
have access to the CVS logs or commits-list archives.
log-edit-insert-changelog gets run by cvs-commit-setup for a reason, and
don't be afraid to use cvs-add-change-log-entry as emacs intended.

--
The moon is new, 0.2% illuminated, 29.1 days old.