[Twisted-Python] RFC: Dropping support for Python versions prior to 2.1

Ivo van der Wijk ivo at amaze.nl
Sat Feb 2 02:54:28 MST 2002

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 09:11:09PM +0200, Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've been discussing dropping support in Twisted for versions of Python
> prior to 2.1. There will be a number of limitation for people developing
> Twisted itself, though not, of course for people *using* Twisted - the
> coding standard will probably disallow list comprehensions, print>>, and
> import X as Y.
>
> On the plus side, 2.1 will allow use of new features such as weak
> references, string object methods and so on. Additionaly, pyOpenSSL does
> not run on Python 1.5.2. On the other hand, 2.1 is less commonly
> installed than 1.5.2.
>
> So, do any of you (users and developers) mind if 1.5.2 is no longer
> supported? If so, this is the time to speak out and say so.

I would. Unfortunately, 1.5.2 is still the default install with redhat
systems (which are quite alot). I'm using Twisted to write gtk network
applications (such as an irc / msn client), and it's very usefull that
people can use the default pytgtk/glade packages that come with their
distribution. Requiring that people upgrade to 2.1, along with pygtk,
pyglade (and of course install Twisted on top of that) may prevent
people from using my applications at all.

I wouldn't mind parts of twisted being 2.x only - I only use the
protocol/tcp parts of Twisted at this moment.

With regards,

	Ivo

--
Drs. I.R. van der Wijk                              -=-
Brouwersgracht 132                      Amaze Internet Services V.O.F.