[Twisted-Python] DNS SRV support for Connectors

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Tue Dec 31 22:23:06 MST 2002

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 12:47:04AM +0200, Tommi Virtanen wrote:
> 	Hi. I wanted to have SRV record (RFC 2782) support connecting
> 	to services. So here we go.
>
> 	The following patch adds a new Connector class that takes
> 	service (smtp, http, ldap, ..) and domain (example.com), looks
> 	for a DNS SRV record and falls back sanely if not found.
>
> 	itamar pointed out that this might be more suitable in
> 	twisted.names.client -- feel free to point out what is the
> 	"right" place.
>
> 	Please give feedback.

  Hooray. :)  One thing that concerns me is that these won't be serialized
correctly.  I -thought- you might be able to drop the resulting connector
into theApplication.tcpConnectors by hand, but at a closer look it doesn't
seem that would work.  Does anyone have any ideas on this?  Since
connectTCPService does depend on t.names, I agree with itamar that it isn't
appropriate for inclusion in t.internet, which rules out changing
Application to suit it specifically.  Perhaps a general interface for
user-specified connector functions?  Something like...

    app.connectWith(connectTCPService, 'service', 'domain', ...)

  so that the call info could be serialized and re-invoked on the next run.

  Good?  Bad?

  Jp

--
"The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt but it has
 always been nothing more than politics in disguise ... economics is a form