[Twisted-Python] Re: [Twisted-commits] blocking is the mindkiller

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Fri Dec 13 20:11:08 EST 2002

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 16:33:37 -0600, exarkun CVS <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
> Modified files:
> Twisted/twisted/python/plugin.py 1.11 1.12
>
> Log message:
> blocking is the mindkiller

No... *threading* is the mindkiller.

What is the point of the addition of this function?  I note that it's not yet
used anywhere (thank goodness).  The use of a thread for loading plugins like
this is going to run non-thread-safe code in a thread for sure.  (Heck, is
__import__ even threadsafe?)

If you want a deferred version of this, maybe it would be more appropriate to
chunk the work from getPluginFileList so that it can be run with callLater with
some short timeout?

--
 |    <`'>    |  Glyph Lefkowitz: Traveling Sorcerer   |
 |   < _/ >   |  Lead Developer,  the Twisted project  |