[Twisted-Python] wxWindows vs Gtk

Andrew Bennetts andrew-twisted at puzzling.org
Wed Apr 24 22:24:37 MDT 2002

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 12:04:23PM -0400, Shandy Brown wrote:
> wxWindows:
>  Pros: cross platform
>  Cons: ??

Cons: Very poorly documented.  Unstable.  Code copied and pasted from the
demo app can mysteriously fail to work when used standalone.  Not as
cross-platform as it should be -- I had a weird layout bug once where the
solution was to grovel through the mailing list archives for a few hours
until I saw someone say "Oh yeah, to do blah from the blargh, you need to do
bleep on win32, because it does it like this...".  There was *no* indication
in the documentation that I was doing anything that would have trouble used
cross-platform -- oh, that's right, there is no wxPython documentation, just
links to the C++ API.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm rather scarred by my experience with
wxPython...

-Andrew.