[Twisted-Python] wxWindows vs Gtk

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Apr 24 10:35:19 MDT 2002

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 07:08:25PM +0300, Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
> Shandy Brown wrote:
>
> >wxWindows:
> > Pros: cross platform
> > Cons: ??
>
> One con is the fact that it uses lots and lots of memory.

Does anybody else find that wxWindows just does packing subtly wrong on
everything but win32?  All the screenshots look just a *little* off
(enough to drive me crazy ^_^)

> >XUL:
> > Pros: separates application logic from interface*
> >       cross platform
> >       REALLY knows how to use XML (CSS, HTML for free, etc)
> > Cons: just became frozen, so docs hard to find
> >       i suggest here: http://www.xml.com/pub/r/1330
>
> Additonal cons:
> Requires the huge Mozilla runtime, far less widgets than other toolkits.

Even more additional cons:

ugly, slow, javascript-centric

Additional pro:

supports theming and graphics very well

> However, if you want to contribute XUL event loop integration we'd be glad
> to have it :)

That would be nice, yes :)

--
______      you are in a maze of twisted little applications, all