[Twisted-Python] Re: [Twisted-commits] OK, maybe distributed servers work again with files...

Christopher Armstrong carmstro at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Apr 15 19:52:05 MDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-04-15 at 20:21, glyph CVS wrote:
> Modified files:
> Twisted/twisted/web/distrib.py 1.33 1.34
>
> Log message:
> OK, maybe distributed servers work again with files...

HOORAY! Thanks a lot. If everything's OK, I'll get onto releasing
0.17.2. Anyone have any objections?

Anyway, real purpose of this message -- I noticed that this fix breaks
backwards-compatibility with old servers again (at least when the --user
server is running 0.17.1 and --personal is running CVS; I assume it's
also broken for the opposite). This is really starting to bug me,
because all of our users on Zaibach have to restart their servers for
their web sites to work after an upgrade. Of course, I don't care for
_my_ server, but the big one is snibril's Moin server.

#1. Would it be possible to make future changes to distributed web
without breaking old servers, if we try hard enough? (I doubt it)

#2. Can we make servers easier to rebuild in-place so we don't actually
have to restart them? (I doubt it)

#3. Can we set up a system on zaibach to have a central script that runs
or restarts all of the users' servers? I think just going through the
list of user web-servers and 'su <user> -c <restart command>' should do
the trick.

If #3 never comes about, then I'd like to get snibril's permission to
restart his server when I make a release. :-)

--
                                Chris Armstrong
                         << radix at twistedmatrix.com >>