[Twisted-Python] Re: [Twisted-commits] OK, maybe distributed servers work again with files...

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Apr 15 22:10:26 EDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 09:52:05PM -0400, Christopher Armstrong wrote:
> #1. Would it be possible to make future changes to distributed web
> without breaking old servers, if we try hard enough? (I doubt it)

This is really the goal.  Ideally there will actually be a published
protocol for HTTPoPB at some point.  The speed at which the PB protocol
evolves should be slowing down a lot now, and Itamar's recent refactor
to web.resource (what broke it this time ...) should be starting to
finalize what a "web request" is in Twisted.

If you feel like this is really a significant problem, working in
backwards-compatibility hooks to PB is probably a good idea.  (In fact,
probably it's a good idea either way ^_^).  Most of the changes that
have broken t.w.d have been basic protocol changes to PB, which could
not be helped; the final, release version of PB will have a way of
regressing to old versions when appropriate.

In other words; expect minor problems until we stamp "1.0" on the
package; after that it should be smooth sailing.