[Twisted-Python] We now have a coil command-line app in CVS

Andrew Bennetts andrew-twisted at puzzling.org
Mon Apr 1 23:39:13 EST 2002

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 03:08:58PM +0300, Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:

> Ah. Well, coil could be turned into a python module, together with a shell
> script/.bat that uses twistd to run it. Once you do the promised event loop
> refactor, that is. :)
>
> What module organization should that be? Tv suggested
> twisted.internet.eventloops.{gtk, select, poll, ...}

I like the idea of calling them "eventloops", or basically anything other
than "main".  "main" tends to clash with functions in my modules, and
"eventloop" gives a clearer idea of its purpose.

Tv's suggestion looks reasonable to me... although aren't there really two
types of modules being grouped together there:
  1) Alternatives to the select-based loop (poll, win32)
  2) Add-ons that integrate Twisted's loop with other loops, e.g. gtk,
     Tk, etc...

Or do the 2nd type all assume a select-based loop?  If that's the case, I'd
suggest they are generalised (it'd be nice for Tk to work with the win32
loop).

I guess then I'd be proposing something like:
  * twisted.internet.eventloops.{select, poll, win32}
  * twisted.internet.eventloops.addons.{gtk, tk, wx, asyncore?, ...}

I'm not really thrilled with the name "addons", but you get the idea.

-Andrew.