[Twisted-Python] Hacking Reality

Jason L. Asbahr jason at crash.org
Sun Sep 30 08:59:44 MDT 2001

Greetings, Twisted folks,

As Chris mentioned, Reality is about to undergo some refactoring.
If you are interested in this process, drop a line.  Perhaps a new
reality-dev list at twistedmatrix.com is in order.

For those of you I haven't met yet, I'm a game developer and serious
Python addict.  I've committed a large portion of my adult life
working toward the growth and development of virtual worlds.  My
current project is the culmination of many years of work.

The specific game design I'm working on is called "Netsu" (which is
Japanese for "heat" or "fever").  It's an anime-inspired world which
incorporates multiple perspectives of play and a reputation network
for players to self-organize.  It's going to be fun.  :-)

As I develop use cases and other design documentation for Netsu, I
intend to keep them as portable as possible between gaming systems,
so that they can benefit the most people.  I anticipate this work
feeding back into Twisted Reality, expanding it to be a more general
simulation framework.

And now a little history...

The genesis of the project began with my work on virtual reality
systems in the early 90's.  I developed virtual building
walkthroughs for architects, VR games, and created the first
hardware accelerated PC-based virtual actor system for Compaq.

This work was all done with C and C++, and it was during this
period that I realized the need for a dynamic and interactive
way to "reach inside" the simulation and manipulate it.  And
that's how I first became acquainted with Python.  :-)

The next major phase was to build a 3D client engine with Python
embedded as a control language.  The fruits of that effort are
described in the paper I presented at Python 7, "Beyond: A Portable
Virtual World Simulation Framework".   (This was also the first
mention of 'Netsu'.)

In 1998, the next phase of development took a turn when I was
recruited into Origin Systems to work on developing the Python
foundation for the Ultima Online 2 project.  The focus during the
period was on innovation on the server side and on client-server
communication.  The results of that labor are described in another
paper presented at Python 9, "Python for Massively Multiplayer
Virtual Worlds".

[ Both papers at: http://www.asbahr.com/papers.html ]

To this point, the software developed was all closed source.  The
desire for an open source virtual world system was lurking in my
head, but it wasn't until the O'Reilly Open Source conference in
2000 that my plan for the open source virtual world crystallized.

[ The notes made during that period have evolved into the Linux
Journal article which I'll share with you shortly. ]

At the 2001 O'Reilly conference, while presenting on the UO2 design
work, I took the opportunity to discuss my plans for the future
open source virtual world system.  The response was extremely
positive, which included the invitation to write the LJ article
on the subject.  :-)

Currently, I'm working on combining a number of existing open
source technologies to build the new virtual world system.
These include the 'Nebula Device' 3D engine from Germany on
the client side, the Twisted framework for server-side and
client-server communication, and the OpenCyc knowledge base
as server-side archetype repository and artificial intelligence
server.

Glyph and I have been meeting periodically over the last few
months to discuss these issues, which intersect nicely with his
long term plans for gaming.  I've also been meeting with the
Cycorp folks (who happen to be just down the road from me) to
discuss integrating Cyc and driving Python class generation
from Cyc.  I'm in the process of integrating Python into the
Nebula Device, which will be quickly followed by integrating
PB and making Nebula one of the first 3D clients for Twisted.
(Yay!)

Recently, Chris and I began to share some thoughts.  As I
mentioned to him, after I wrap up my current consulting project
(porting Python to the Playstation 2 and developing a GUI for
designers to build Python logic), I'm devoting 100% of my time
to Netsu and open source development.

I am committed to delivering the next generation open source
virtual world framework for gaming, education, simulation, and
training.  It is my hope that this collaborative approach for
virtual world simulation grows, spreading the Twisted word and
providing a foundation to help other developers achieve their
own goals.

Join us!  :-)

Cheers,

Jason