[Twisted-Python] Release Procedure, Patches and Bugs, oh my!

Moshe Zadka m at moshez.org
Sun Sep 23 21:52:51 MDT 2001

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> While I don't disagree that we need a system for tracking submitted patches, I
> think I've missed out on this corner of open source culture :).
>
> Why are we submitting patches to the mailing list?  I think that if we agree
> that something should be done (and it won't break anything) rather than
> submitting patches to the list, commit it to CVS.  I think that all the patches
> here with the possible exception of the 4th are cool new functionality,

I, for one, sometime like to send out a patch before I commit to get some
feedback. For example, I can send out half-baked code to flow an idea past
you. When we discuss it partly on the mailing list and partly on IRC, there
is no place someone can go to see all discussion about a patch. What's more,
since most patches are appliable (more or less) against the last release,
this gives non-developer an opportunity to comment.

I don't think we have a clear guideline, so my guideline is "things I'm
the authority for I just submit. Things which are simple bugfixes or patches
I ask around, then submit. Changes or big things I ask on the mailing list
first". For example, the resolver patch needs some more discussion: Itamar
had valid (though wrong, IMHO) objections to it and we talked about a reasonable
compromise.
--
The Official Moshe Zadka FAQ: http://moshez.geek
The Official Moshe Zadka FAQ For Dummies: http://moshez.org