[Twisted-Python] Release Procedure, Patches and Bugs, oh my!

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sun Sep 23 20:29:18 MDT 2001

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 12:54:35AM +0200, Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
> Moshe Zadka wrote:
>
> > I suggest using some kind of bug tracking system. I suggest roundup,
> > but please don't fight about this -- anything is better then nothing.

Agreed.  Roundup sounds like a good place to start, especially since I have
very little bug tracking system experience.

> I agree! I'm just not sure how to add CGIs, or I'd add it.

Make yourself a --personal --static webserver, and you can run CGIs.

> Plus it needs a dbm module, and bsddb3 is *probably* better than python's
> bsddb (based off bsddb 1.8), so maybe someone with root should install it
> (http://pybsddb.sf.net).

Can we use dirdbm or would that explode too quickly?  I'd rather have stable
than fast, and I've been burned by all varieties of bsddb at one point or
another...

> The patches are:
> 1. DNS resolver used for lookups (moshez)
> 2. multiple accept() (moshez)
> 3. New API for adding delayeds and shutdowns (itamar)
> 4. --python and --plugin for mktap (moshez)

While I don't disagree that we need a system for tracking submitted patches, I
think I've missed out on this corner of open source culture :).

Why are we submitting patches to the mailing list?  I think that if we agree
that something should be done (and it won't break anything) rather than
submitting patches to the list, commit it to CVS.  I think that all the patches
here with the possible exception of the 4th are cool new functionality, and if
there's something that turns out not to fit, we can remove or revert it.  I'm
not against doing things through patches but I don't understand what value it
has...

(Why do I have this weird feeling that somebody's going to point to a mailing
list message I don't remember where I recommend that everyone submit patches to
the mailing list first...? -_-)

--