[Twisted-Python] remove a tcp.Port

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sat Sep 1 19:28:36 MDT 2001

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 06:49:48PM +0200, Maj-Britt Bruheim wrote:

> The first bug I ran into with twisted.ftp is that after 15 tcp.Ports has been
> opened and closed, skt.Listen starts to fail. This is due to the fact that
> when calling Port.loseConnection, the actual code called is
> Server.loseConnection which does not removeReader (actually, the
> Port.loseConnection is broken, since it calls removeReader and not
> main.removeReader).

Yeah.  The socket wouldn't get closed (In fact, a traceback would prevent
anything from happening at all...) , and so you'd run out of available
listening sockets (15 tcp.Ports = 15 listening sockets * 5 queue entries = 75
queue entries) fairly quickly.  (See below about NT...)

> Well, there's seems to be two types of behaviour intended with the code, and
> of course, calling a loseConnection to the server shouldn't remove it
> entirely, but there should be a function doing that.

Both of those behaviors are necessary.  Calling loseConnection on a Port means
"stop accepting connections on this port" (as the documentation reads).  If you
were to not remove that from the select loop, some ugly behavior would result.

> Another thing, the limit for maximum Ports, where is it? And can shouldn't it
> be configurable?

This is an OS-imposed limit, as far as I know. I can't do anything about it.

> And here follows the somewhat confusing traceback. Note that this is upon
> re-connecting the ftp-server. When the client can't connect to the server,
> there's nothing on the log.

Can you reproduce this on a UNIX?  Is this an NT or 95 derivative Windows
you're using?

I'll hazard a guess that it's NT "Workstation", which has some colorfully
imposed limits on the number of sockets you can listen on.  Although I don't
know if 95 has the same issues.  The "red hat linux installation guide" has
step-by-step instructions for fixing that "bug" :-)

[traceback omitted]

--