[Twisted-Python] WebDAV in twisted.web.server

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Sep 10 23:17:29 EDT 2001

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 08:09:32PM +0200, Benjamin Bruheim wrote:
> > I was wondering if it would be possible to implement WebDAV fully in
> > Resources, and not touching anything else. Resources can munge whatever
> > headers they want, etc, and we could just have a base DAVResource do all
> > the XML/Mime encoding.
>
> Yes, my last post pointed out how that could be done. Though, the stuff I
> pointed out (eg to make process able to forward the request content even if
> the method isn't POST) is really only what needs to be done.
>
> The only stupid stuff is that the child-list for the Resources will be
> duplicated since they need to be a member of their parent-collection.
>
> So, the DAVResource needs to both represent resources ("files") and
> collectionresources. Hm, will it create a new DAVResource for each step down
> the tree? And if it hits an exisisting resource, refer to it? I am not
> trained in twisted.web =)

To some extent, static.File already represents both of these things.  Could you
just extend Resource to allow various Resources to implement WebDAV in
different ways?  For example, I'd like to be able to describe a TR object
through WebDAV, and it'd be nice if I just had some extended API to
implement...

--