[Twisted-Python] Re: pretzel

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Fri Oct 5 17:20:30 EDT 2001

On Friday, October 5, 2001, at 09:51  AM, Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:

> I find the terms breadstick and saltgrain to be confusing - class names
> should describe what they do! E.g. for all the fun had with names in
> twisted.spread, pb defines classes named Perspective, etc., not Peanut
> or Chunky.

I agree.  In fact, "pb" really is a "Perspective Broker" and Jelly is an
alternative mode for "preserving" things to Pickle.  ("nutella" may
possibly be a peer-to-peer file-sharing network in the same package, but
I think there's some precedent for that, too.)  A slight tinge of whimsy
is fun for naming stuff but the names I saw in those other emails were
just ridiculous.  (Not in the coding standard yet but will be soon --
distinctiveness and brevity are preferred at the module level for
naming, but descriptiveness and clarity are what you need for classes
and methods)

This thread began for me (and for the list archiver, apparently) with
"Re: pretzel".  I have no idea what "pretzel" is or where it came from,
and so far it sounds like a pretty bad idea.  Could someone please
explain it in depth?  Especially expound upon "Twisted doesn't have this
yet; a centralized place where a bunch of objects can send messages to
and receive messages from other objects."  This is at once maddeningly
vague and precise enough to be completely incorrect.

--
______      you are in a maze of twisted little applications, all
|_____|             http://www.twistedmatrix.com/