[Twisted-Python] Re: [Twisted-commits] CVS: Twisted/twisted/protocols irc.py,1.24,1.25

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Nov 22 20:33:52 MST 2001

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 11:48:54PM -0600, Kevin Turner wrote:
> protocols/irc.py: An exception in the server isn't a reason to drop the
> client, right?

IMHO, it is.  If the protocol isn't specifically designed to deal with
exceptions (For example, dynamic web content or PB protocol exceptions) then
it's undefined behavior and the connection should be dropped.  Bot behavior
should be implemented in a layer above the IRC protocol, if there is a place
for a catch-all exception handler.

I won't revert this change because I'm not living in that part of the code
right now, but Kevin, I suggest you consider it.

--
______      you are in a maze of twisted little applications, all
|_____|             http://www.twistedmatrix.com/