[Twisted-Python] Intro and "Slash- or Squishdot-style stuff?"

Chris Armstrong carmstro at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Nov 28 16:56:22 EST 2001

On Wed, 2001-11-28 at 12:11, Michael Dartt wrote:
> Hello, everyone.  <introduction>I did some work with God--er, Glyph--on Twisted
> Reality back in the days when it was in Java.  I've done a decent chunk of
> coding, including using Python (which is still my favorite language), but I
> admit to being almost a complete newbie when it comes to network programming.
> Other than that...I live in Madison, WI and work at EDS on the WI Medicaid
> account.</introduction>

Hi Michael! :)

> I'm considering using Twisted for a news/portal site in a similar style to
> Slashdot.  Glyph told me that there's been some discussion about creating a
> Twisted package along these lines.  I couldn't find anything in the archives;
> has anyone started work on such a thing?

Hm.. There have been a few attempts at a weblog, and the most recent one
was just removed from CVS for lack of maintenance. The only hurdle I can
see for creating a good blog system (utilizing WebWidgets etc) would be
lack of decent database support in Twisted. There is glyph's adbapi
module, which is an async interface to dbapi, but I'm not sure how
useful it would be (note that I have very little experience with dbs).
Anyway, if you do decide to do this, give me a holler and I'll help out.

> Also, does the server run reliably under Windows 9x?

I'm not sure about this one. I know people have run it on windows, and I
know for certain that the CGI interface won't work (although this is
irrelevant), but I have no idea how it performs or how easy it is to get
running.

--
<bram> have I mentioned there's a FRIGGIN BUTTLOAD of ways web input can
go bad?