[Twisted-Python] Configuration: The Never Ending Story.

Moshe Zadka moshez at zadka.site.co.il
Fri May 11 09:53:15 EDT 2001

OK, let me first state some axioms:

1. Everything should be configurable the same way, from within twisted.

Glyph has mentioned that he's not familiar with what's in bin/ anymore:
he just mktelnetserver, and configures from within the telnet server
everything. This is what should happen, except not limited to the telnet
server.

2. The configuration interface must not be ui specific.

This is obvious, right? Command line and web based aren't the only option.
No reason why we can't implement a special purpose client/server for configuring
twisted.

3. It should be easy to optimize the configuration for a ui

This is like the last one -- since we might deal with very good UIs, we
need to give them enough information for using all their abilities to
help us.

4. It should be very easy to make an object configurable.

This is very important -- the harder it is, the less it will be easy
to add *good* code to twisted. This is what may be the single most idiotic
thing in Zope (and DC is aware of it! and thinking of how to fix it!). Let's
learn from their mistakes: the less methods, the better. The more the
learning curve is gradual (not needing to learn a class/method/interface
before you need the functionality), the better.

OK, so what do we need to do about it?
Here's a rough proposition:

the configurable *interface*, which will be a class, but not a class
people should inherit from, will contain the following methods:

.getQuestions() --> return a dictionary: name of question, Question object
.getAnswer(name, answer) --> notify the application that an answer has been
                             given to a particular question
                             It can throw an InvalidAnswer exception with
                             a string for a reason. This is for
                             application-level verification, and is discouraged.
.endAnswer() --> the "application" promises that no methods of the object
                 will be called between a series of .getAnswer()s and
                 .endAnswer(). So, this means that if the UI got a bunch
                 of answers, it will call .getAnswer() several times, and
                 then .endAnswer(). The UI will *check* for this method's
                 existance, and will not call it if it doesn't exist.

Question objects are meant to be open ended.
They can contain a default.

Here is the general interface of the Question, that all objects conform
too:

.hasAnswer() --> boolean, whether the Question already contains an
                 answer/default
.getValue() --> will only work if .hasAnswer() is true, returns the answer
.setValue(val) --> make .hasAnswer() true

Objects which can be created by the UI should have an __init__ which
can be called without arguments. If there is any initialization which
requires arguments, it should be done in endAnswer(). The UI also promises
not to call .endAnswer() for an object if there any questions which have
not been answered and do not have a default (.hasAnswer is false.)

Well, my proposal would not be complete if I didn't say what questions are
available. Keep in mind, though, that the set of questions is *open ended*.
That does not violate the light-and-lean guidelines, since a specific
Question class will only be used if the functionality is needed.

Without further ado:

class BooleanQuestion:
class IntQuestion: (can have .min and .max)
class FloatQuestion:
class StringQuestion: (can have .maxlength)
class LongStringQuestion: (same as above -- it's a hint to the ui)
class InterfaceQuestion: (specify interface, valid answers are objects)
class ArrayQuestion: (an array of the same kind of question)
class DictQuestion: (a dictionary mapping strings -> same kind of question)

example:

class Server: # note -- not inheriting from anything

    name = port = None

    def getQuestions(self):
        name = StringQuestion()
        if self.name is not None:
            name.setValue(self.name)
        port = IntQuestion()
        if self.port is not None:
            port.setValue(self.port)
        return {'port': port, 'name': name}

    def getAnswer(self, name, answer):
        # note: no need to use int(answer)
        # for port: an IntQuestion has an integer as a .getValue()
        setattr(self, name, answer)

Open questions:
* How do we connect classes to interfaces?
  Suggestion: each class has an attribute __implements__ containig a list
  of interfaces. Alternatively, an interface is really a list of
  (callable, Questions) tuples, which are answered and passed to the callable.
  Modules with relevant classes register with the correct interface.
* How do we let objects created inside another object who their parent are?
  Suggestion: if an object from on Interface question has a method .setParent,
  call it with the parent as argument. This should be done by the Question
  object, so it knows how to call it for each object in a ListQuestion
* How do we let objects "title" a question?
  Suggestion: a question has a string argument on __init__ titling it.
* How do we allow the object to signify groupings of questions?
  Suggestion: this means the design is bad -- break down the object
  into smaller objects
--
"I'll be ex-DPL soon anyway so I'm        |LUKE: Is Perl better than Python?
looking for someplace else to grab power."|YODA: No...no... no. Quicker,