[Twisted-Python] Twisted.pim

Kevin Turner acapnotic at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Jul 4 11:43:42 MDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 10:25:28PM -0600, Travis B. Hartwell wrote:
>   What is it?
>       First of all, Twisted.pim should be more than what traditional
>       PIMs offer (think of the Palm apps, KOrganizer, Outlook, etc.).

Please look at Evolution too.  I'm sure you can find something to not
like about it, but there's been a lot of sweat put into it, so you
should at least be able to learn something from their efforts.

>       Example 1:
>         Integration.

You can't spend too much time thinking about integration before someone
brings up the rather ill-defined idea of "desktop environment".  Now,
forget I said that phase, because it doesn't mean much.  ;)  I just
raise a few more questions:  What if the resource you are working on is
not an emacs buffer, but an Excel spreadsheet?  Can you incorporate
resources into this system that you, the Twisted.pim designer, did not
anticipate the existance of?  Can other third-party applications make
use of your contact list and schedule things into your calendar -- even
if they're not written in Python?  To what degree does "integratibility"
imply "embedability"?

Now, we all know that since PB is being published under the Twisted
label, it's got to be the greatest thing since spreadable cheese.  But
even so, but I'd sleep better at night if I read a memo comparing its
suitability for "Integration." to the other things that are being used
these days from that pot of ole soap ipc corba orbit bonobo rpc kparts
stew.

>       Example 2:
>         Information management.

Another good place to look for examples of information management (in
addition to what churchr mentioned) is at Zigzag, Ted Nelson's
brainchild.  There's an implementation now that's at least far along
enough that you can play with it at http://gzigzag.sourceforge.net/ .
I don't feel it's quite to the point where it's ready to take off on its
own, as the applications for it are rather incomplete and the only
chunks of data you can really use in the default interface are one-line
strings, but it's a toy from which you might be able to learn something
about dense bidirectoinal hyperlinking.

>       I've been doing a lot of reading lately of the works of Stephen
>       R. Covey, specifically "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People"
>       and "First Things First."

Ok, now sir, you are scaring me.  ;)
(Sorry, personal allergy to the ideology of Mr. Covey.  Gives me hives.)

Best wishes,

   - Kevin
  (Acapnotic)